05 Sep Things to Do in Mek’ele
1. Visit the Martyrs’ Memorial Monument: This monument is dedicated to the Ethiopian soldiers who fought and died during the Eritrean-Ethiopian war. It is a significant historical site and offers beautiful views of the city.
2. Explore the Alula Aba Nega Museum: This museum showcases the history, culture, and art of the Tigray region. It houses a collection of artifacts, traditional clothing, and religious items.
3. Take a trip to the rock-hewn churches of Tigray: Mek’ele is a great starting point for exploring the ancient rock-hewn churches of Tigray. These churches are carved out of solid rock and offer a unique experience for history and architecture enthusiasts.
4. Visit the Hawelti Stadium: If you’re a sports fan, catch a game at the Hawelti Stadium. It is the largest stadium in the region and hosts various sporting events and concerts.
5. Explore the local markets: Mek’ele is known for its vibrant markets where you can find a variety of goods, including traditional crafts, textiles, and spices. The Adi Haki market is particularly popular.
6. Enjoy traditional Ethiopian cuisine: Mek’ele has a variety of restaurants and cafes where you can savor traditional Ethiopian dishes such as injera, doro wat, and kitfo. Don’t forget to try the local coffee as well.
7. Take a trip to the Danakil Depression: If you have more time, consider taking a multi-day tour to the Danakil Depression, one of the hottest places on Earth. It is known for its otherworldly landscapes, including colorful sulfur springs, salt flats, and active volcanoes.
8. Visit the Emperor Yohannes IV Palace: This palace was once the residence of Emperor Yohannes IV, who ruled Ethiopia in the late 19th century. It now serves as a museum and offers insights into the history of the region.
9. Explore the surrounding nature: Mek’ele is surrounded by beautiful landscapes and mountains. Consider taking a hike or a drive to enjoy the scenic beauty and fresh air.
10. Attend cultural events and festivals: Mek’ele hosts various cultural events and festivals throughout the year. Check the local calendar to see if there are any celebrations happening during your visit.